Bar Roll – 1994
Admitted – 1969
Phone – (03) 9225 6510
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Chambers – Room 3114, Aickin Chambers, 200 Queen Street, Melbourne
Laurence is a graduate of The University of Melbourne (LL B, 1968) and The Australian National University (LLM. 1976). He was admitted to practise (Victoria, 1969 ; High Court, 1969, ACT, 1972)
Laurence practised as an employee solicitor in Melbourne, 1969 – 1970. He worked as a research officer in the Parliamentary Library, Canberra 1972, as a member of the personal staff of Attorney General Lionel K Murphy, 1973 and as the Secretary of Standing Committee A of the Australian Constitutional Convention, 1974.
He practised as a solicitor in Melbourne 1975 – 1990 (full-time) 1991 – 1994 (part time) as a sole pracititoner, and as a member of small and large firms. He was a member of various Law Institute and Law Council Committees.
Laurence has also held the following appointments;
* Part-time Referee, Small Claims Tribunals, 1982 – 1984 ;
* Part time member, Residential Tenancies Tribunal, 1982-1984.
* State Attorney-General’s Nominee, Legal Aid Commission of Victoria, 1988 – 1994 ;
* Member and Deputy Chairman, Historic Buildings Council 1988 – 1996;
* Nominee of Minister for Consumer Affairs, Board of Consumer Law Centre of Victoria from 1992 – 1998.
* University of Melbourne representative, Board of Leo Cussen Institute, 1990 continuing.
* Senior Lecturer and later Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, The University of Melbourne, 1989 – 1994 ( taught Administrative Law, Legal Process, Media Law and Torts ).
Other matters of note include;
* Editor, Law Institute Journal, 1977 – 1982 ;
* Co-author ( with M. Sexton ), The Legal Mystique : The Role of Lawyers in Australian Society ( Angus & Robertson, 1982 ) ;
* Co-author ( with J L Goldring, J. McKeogh & G Pearson) Consumer Protection Law in Australia ( 5th Ed, Federation Press, 1998 ) ;
* author of various law review articles.
Laurence’s practice at the Victorian Bar principally involves administrative law and tribunals ( federal and state ), employee wrongful dismissal claims, defamation, and miscellaneous contract disputes.