Bar Roll – 1989
Admitted – 1986
Phone – (03) 9225 8291
Mobile – 0412 892199
Email – email@example.com
Chamber – Fl 8, Room 803, Isaacs Chambers, 555 Lonsdale Street
John did his Articles with Price Brent and signed the Bar Roll in 1989. His principal area of practice is general commercial litigation, including contract, sale of land, property, professional negligence, corporations, equity, and insolvency, as well as probate and wills and estates. He is particularly interested in alternative dispute resolution including, arbitration, adjudication and mediation.
His work ranges across trials and applications in the Supreme, Federal, County and Magistrates Courts and at VCAT; mediations (both as counsel and as mediator); paperwork and general advice work. John is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) and ACICA and a national councilor and company secretary of the Australian Branch of CIArb. He has been empanelled with KLRCA as Arbitrator, Adjudicator & Mediator. He has delivered seminars and presentations on topics in contract law, equity, property law and sale of land, wills and estates, professional conduct and international commercial arbitration.
John’s published articles and seminar papers include:
• Liability of Directors for Unpaid Group Tax (1994) Vol 68 LIJ 606.
• Testator’s Family Maintenance – are Stepchildren Eligible? (1997) Vol 71 LIJ 55
• Possible Avenues for Policyholders following the collapse of the HIH Group (2001) Vol 75 LIJ 56
• When time is of the essence. Remedies for breach of contract (2006) 80 LIJ 42.
• Fair play – Interlocutory injunctions (2007) 81.06 LIJ 52.
• Qatar Law Forum (2009) 83 ALJ 507.
• Damages and Equitable Compensation in a Commercial Setting – seminar, CPDS, June, 2010
• Australia: Hub for international arbitration (2013) 87 LIJ 40
• An introduction to international commercial arbitration, seminar, LIV, 14 March, 2013
• Enforcing Rights & Remedies under a Contract for the Sale of Land – CPDS seminar, 26 March, 2013
• Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2002 – seminar, LIV, 23 July, 2013
• Avoiding risk with MOUs Heads of Agreement and Preliminary Agreements – presented several times, and originally as LIV seminar
• Interlocutory Injunctions, Freezing Orders and other applications, presented several times, and originally as LIV seminar
• Rescission of contracts for the Sale of Land and the Practical Importance of Default Clauses, Seminar, TV ED, 25 March,2015
• Liability for Pre-Contractual Conduct Under Preliminary Agreements, TV ED, seminar, 5 June, 2015
• Judicial review of adjudication under CIPAA, Australian Alternative Dispute Resolution Bulletin , Lexis Nexis, July, 2015
• Setting aside or non-enforcement of arbitral awards in international arbitration on the public policy ground and for breach of natural justice, seminar, delivered ICAAD Conf., K.L., Malaysia, 21 Aug, 2015
• Confidentiality and privilege in mediation, Australian Alternative Dispute Resolution Bulletin , Lexis Nexis, November 2015
Many of these papers may be viewed at: http://www.gordonandjackson.com.au/resources.
John is a co-author of Williams Civil Procedure Victoria (with David Bailey of counsel), Lexis Nexis; and Australian Uniform Evidence, Lexis Nexis (with the Hon. Justice Geoff Bellew, Supreme Court of NSW) and an author of Bankruptcy Law and Practice and several titles in Court Forms Precedents and Pleadings Victoria, Lexis Nexis.
John is a member of the International Bar Association, Law Institute of Victoria, Asialink’s Chairman’s Club and Chancellor’s Circle, the Asian Australian Lawyers Association and Legal Friends of Melbourne Recital Centre.
For his Vicbar profile go to: https://www.vicbar.com.au/Profile?2419
From 18/09/2008Professional Standards Act 2003 [Vic] “Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.”