John did his Articles with Price Brent and signed the Bar Roll in 1989.
His principal area of practice is general commercial litigation, including contract, sale of land, property, equity, corporations, professional negligence and succession.
John is particularly interested in alternative dispute resolution including arbitration, adjudication and mediation, although his primary focus are trials and appeals.
John is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) and ACICA and a National Councillor and current President of the Australian Branch of CIArb. He has been empanelled with AIAC (prev KLRCA) as Arbitrator, Adjudicator and Mediator). John is on the National Executive Committee of the Asian Australian Lawyers Association.
He has delivered seminars and presentations both locally and regionally on topics in contract law, equity, property law and sale of land, wills and estates, professional conduct and international arbitration.
John’s has many published articles incl:
- “Liability of Directors for Unpaid Group Tax” (1994) Vol 68 Law Institute Journal 606
- “Testator’s Family Maintenance – are Stepchildren Eligible?” (1997) Vol 71 Law Institute Journal 55 http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/LawIJV/1997/142.pdf
- “Possible Avenues for Policyholders following the collapse of the HIH Group” (2001) Vol 75 Law Institute Journal 56
- “When time is of the essence. Remedies for breach of contract” (2006) 80 Law Institute Journal 42
- “Fair play” Interlocutory injunctions (2007) 81.06 Law Institute Journal 52. https://www.liv.asn.au/LIV-Home/Practice-Resources/Law-Institute-Journal/Archived-Issues/LIJ-June-2007/Fair-play
- “Qatar Law Forum” (2009) 83 ALJ 507 https://svensonbarristers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Qatar_Law_Forum_article_24.6.09.pdf
- “Australia: Hub for international arbitration” Victorian Law Institute Journal (2013) 87 LIJ 40; an updated and revised version of this article appears in the ACICA June 2014 Review and also: https://acica.org.au/wp-content/uploads/News/ACICAReview/ACICA-Review-June-2014.pdf
- “Statutory requirements to attend or use ADR: Victoria”, Australian Alternative Dispute Resolution Bulletin, Lexis Nexis, May 2014 – go to link here
- “The legislative context for international and domestic commercial arbitration in Australia”, Australian Alternative Dispute Resolution Bulletin, Lexis Nexis, July, 2014 https://svensonbarristers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/The_legislative_context_for_international_and_domestic_ADRB_Vol__1_Issue_No__3.pdf
- “Setting aside and objecting to enforcement of arbitral awards on the public policy ground”, Australian Alternative Dispute Resolution Bulletin, Lexis Nexis, December 2014 https://svensonbarristers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/17_december_2015__setting_aside_or_nonenforcement_of_arbitral_awards_in_international_arbitration_on_the_public_policy_ground__a_regional_perspective_sample.pdf
- Rescission of contracts for the Sale of Land and the Practical Importance of Default Clauses, Svenson Barristers Learning, 22 March, 2015 https://svensonbarristers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Rescission_of_Contracts_for_the_Sale_of_Land_and_the_Practical_Importance_of_Default_Clauses.pdf
- Liability for Pre-Contractual Conduct Under Preliminary Agreements, https://svensonbarristers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Liability_for_Pre-contractual_Conduct_Under_Preliminary_Agreements_JKArthur_June_2015.pdf
- Setting aside or non-enforcement of arbitral awards in international arbitration on the public policy ground and for breach of natural justice –https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgd5yeh5v402081/Setting%20aside%20and%20objecting%20to%20enforcement%20of.pdf?dl=0
- Arbitration and ADR in Australia — meeting the needs of international trade and commerce, https://svensonbarristers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Arbitration_and_ADR_in_Australia_____meeting_the.pdf (with R Cohrssen)
- Setting aside or non-enforcement of arbitral awards in international arbitration on the public policy ground — a regional Perspective – https://svensonbarristers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/17_december_2015__setting_aside_or_nonenforcement_of_arbitral_awards_in_international_arbitration_on_the_public_policy_ground__a_regional_perspective_sample.pdf
- Confidentiality and privilege in mediation, Australian Alternative Dispute Resolution Bulletin, Lexis Nexis, November 2015 https://svensonbarristers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Confidentiality_and_Privilege_in_Mediation_Australian_perspective.final_.pdf
- The essential elements of international arbitration and its yin and yang – steadfast curial support and limited interference – a regional perspective 11 Oct, 2016, Perhimpunan Advokat Indonesia; Moderator: Dr. Ricardo Simanjuntak SH, LL.M, ANZIIF.CIP
Copies of many of these and other articles and papers may be viewed at: https://svensonbarristers.com.au/learning/
John is a co-author of Civil Procedure Victoria, Lexis Nexis (LN) (with D Bailey of counsel), and author of Australian Uniform Evidence, LN. He is also an author of texts, Australian uniform evidence law: principles and context; G Bellew, J K Arthur, G Boas, and P Chifflet; with contributions by I Vickovich; LN, 2019 https://store.lexisnexis.com.au/products/australian-uniform-evidence-law-principles-and-context-skuaustralian_uniform_evidence_law_principles_and_context and author of “Setting aside or non-enforcement of arbitral awards in international arbitration on the public policy ground – a regional perspective”, a chapter in International Arbitration Discourse and Practices in Asia (Ed. V K. Bhatia, M Gotti, A Hashim, P Koh, S Rajoo), Routledge, 2017. https://www.routledge.com/International-Arbitration-Discourse-and-Practices-in-Asia/Bhatia-Gotti-Hashim-Koh-Rajoo/p/book/9781138282216
John is married with 4 children.
He is a member of the International Bar Association, the Law Institute of Victoria, Asialink’s Chairman’s Club and Chancellor’s Circle, and Legal Friends of Melbourne Recital Centre
For a further profile go to: https://www.vicbar.com.au/profile/8856
Linked in profile: https://au.linkedin.com/pub/john-arthur/56/661/512
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.