Bar Roll – 10th Feb 1977
Admitted – 3rd May 1976
Phone – (03) 9225 7484
Email – email@example.com
Chamber – Floor 10, Room 3, ODCW
Damian Austin signed the Bar Roll on the 10th February 1977, read with E.W. Gillard [as he then was] and has practised extensively in a broad range of commercial and tribunal cases.
He has been a member of a number of professional bodies including;
* the Commercial Law Association;
* the Bar’s representative on the Administrative Law Committee [Joint Standing Committee of the Bar and the Law Institute of Victoria];
* the Building Dispute Practitioners’ Society;
* a founding member of the then Victorian Society for Computers and the Law.
A number of diverse cases in which Damian has appeared as Counsel include;
* The Royal Commission into the Australian Meat Industry.
* Transport Industries Insurance Co. Ltd. v Longmuir  1 VR 125 [Insurance Arson]
* Nunin Holdings Pty Ltd v Tullamarine Estates Pty Ltd  1 VR 74 [Sale of Land – Offer and Acceptance].
* Westsub Discounts Pty Ltd v Idaps Australia Ltd (1990) 17 IPR 185. [Trade Practices].
* Semple v Shire of Kilmore & Anor  VR 88 [Extractive Industry – Town Planning]
* Qenos Pty Ltd v Mobil Oil Australia Pty Ltd (No. 1)  VSC 379 (Arbitration).
* Qenos Pty Ltd v Mobil Oil Australia Pty Ltd (n0. 2)  VSC 524 (Arbitration).
* Patrick v Capital Finance Corporation (Australasia) Pty Ltd & ors  FCA 120 [Trade Practices].
*Vigliaroni & Ors v CPS Investment Holdings Pty. Ltd. & Ors (2009) VSC 428[29 Sept.2009]
(Corporations- oppression and remedies, directors duties and fiduciary duties.
Damian is a Mediator and in addition to appearing in a variety of arbitrations and mediations, has acted for statutory authorities and insurance companies.
His articles on native title have been published as described below:
“Mabo – Sorting the Fact from Fiction”, Commercial Law Quarterly, Volume 7 No. 4 December 1993; Australasian Drilling, Volume 12 No. 6 November/December 1993.
“Mabo – An Attempted Shield”, Commercial Law Quarterly, Volume 9 No. 1 March 1995.
Damian was formerly a part time member of the Liquor Licensing Panel pursuant to the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 for the period 1999 – 2006 [inclusive].
From 1/07/2008: Professional Standards Act 2003 [Vic] “Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.”